Sunday, November 25, 2012

One Face Wash to Rule Them All

I love this face wash. I really really love it. (Sally Field reference, ftw!) I just took a cue from the plethora of information on DIY face washes out here on the interwebz and the things I had on-hand to create the wash. One blog in particular, Simple Mom, helped me understand just how cool these two oils are.  It's super simple to put together (no heating or fancy tools required) and pretty cheap, too! C'mon, I'll show you how it's done.


What you'll need:
Castor oil 
Extra-virgin Olive Oil 
An empty bottle
Measuring spoons
Funnel


First things first, gather all your ingredients up. I recently bought some new organic cold pressed olive oil (yay!), and had some cold pressed and cold processed castor oil that my future mother-in-law gave me, so I didn't even have to make a trip for this DIY. I would recommend that any oil that you're using on your face be cold pressed and/or cold processed. Cold pressing helps to retain as many nutrients as possible, and that can only help your skin!


Since I am re-using an old jojoba oil container, I peeled off the label and cleaned the outside. There was a tiny bit of the jojoba oil left in the bottom, but I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything to leave it, so I didn't dump it out.


Now, you'll notice that I haven't listed any measurements yet. There is a reason for that. Depending upon your skin type, you are going to want varying ratios of EVOO to Castor oil. Here's the breakdown:
-Normal Skin: 1:1 ratio of Castor oil to EVOO
-Oily or Acne-prone Skin (that's me!): 3:1 ratio of Castor oil to EVOO
-Dry Skin: 1:3 ratio of Castor oil to EVOO


Step 3? 4? (ahh, who cares...) is to put your ingredients into the bottle. I started with the Castor oil and added 9 tablespoons to the bottle. Since my ratio is 3:1, I'm going to add 3 tablespoons of Olive oil. If I can figure out how to open it, that is!


(No lie, it took me about 25 revolutions before I figured out there had to be something I was missing! Haha!) So after feeling like a doofus, I pulled the little gold tab and voila! I had an open EVOO bottle. Whew. I proceeded to add my Olive oil to my Castor oil, which made a really pretty gradient of yellow to almost clear. Seriously! Look!


How pretty is that! And then when you shake it up it gets all bubbly and makes me go "oohh, ahh." True story. The final (and most important) step is to use it on your face! So, go make some and then tell me how it treats your face/if you added something else/whatever else you want to tell me.


No comments:

Post a Comment